ERCİYES UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES PROFICIENCY TEST GUIDE
The test consists of the following stages, parts and sections.
Bu sınav aşağıdaki aşamalar, bölümler ve kısımlardan oluşmaktadır.
I. STAGE (pass grade: 65)
I. AŞAMA (başarılı sayılma notu: 65)
Part A: Use of English (50 questions)
Section 1: Multiple Choice Cloze Test (10)
Metin İçerisinde Çoktan Seçmeli Boşluk Doldurma
Section 2: Sentence Completion (5)
Section 3: Grammatically Correct Sentence (5)
Dilbigisel Olarak Doğru Cümleyi Tespit Etme
Section 4: Paraphrasing (5)
En Yakin Anlamli Cümleyi Bulma
Section 5: Incorrect Item (5)
Metin İçerisinde Altı Çizilmiş İfadelerden Dilbilgisel Olarak Hatalı Olanı Tespit Etme
Section 6: Multiple Choice (20)
Part B: Reading (30 questions)
Section 7: Reading Comprehension (15)
Section 8: Paragraph Completion (5)
Section 9: Dialogue Completion (5)
Section 10: Sentence Ordering (5)
II. STAGE (pass grade: 50)
II. AŞAMA (başarılı sayılma notu: 50)
Section 1: Listening (15 questions)
Part A: One multiple choice question for each of the five short audios
Beş kısa ses kaydının herbiriyle ilgili birer çoktan seçmeli soru
Part B: Five multiple choice questions for one longer audio
Daha uzunca bir ses kaydıyla ilgili beş çoktan seçmeli soru
Part C: Five multiple choice questions for one longer audio
Daha uzunca bir ses kaydıyla ilgili beş çoktan seçmeli soru
Section 2: Writing
Weightings / Not ağırlıkları:
I. Stage: 60% II. Stage: 40% (Listening: 20% & Writing: 20%)
Overall pass grade / Sınavdan başarılı olma notu: 60
USE OF ENGLISH
Section 1: Choose the best alternative to complete the text.
Pablo Picasso was born in Malaga, Spain in 1881. His father was a drawing teacher, and Pablo became his father’s pupil. When he was at the age of 13, he held his first ___1, where he presented his paintings to other people. His family moved to Barcelona in 1895 where Pablo ___2 an art academy. As a young man, he took interest in masterpieces of famous artists ___3 El Greco and de Goya. In 1901, a close friend of Picasso shot ___4, which had a great impact on Pablo. He was very sad and began painting his pictures in grey and blue tones instead of bright, vivid colours. This part of his career ___ 5 his Blue Period.
1. a) exhibition b) invitation c) advertisement d) contribution
2. a) has been joining b) has joined c) joined d) was joining
3. a) as b) with c) both d) like
4. a) himself b) his c) themselves d) them
5. a) called b) is called c) has called d) had been called
The answers are 1a 2c 3d 4a 5b.
Section 2: Choose the best alternative to complete the sentence.
Everyone knows that if they eat less and become more active, ___.
a) they will lose weight
b) when they want to take up exercise
c) it had been easy to put on weight
d) they would have a chance to lose weight
The answer is a.
Section 3: Choose the sentence which is grammatically correct.
a) The new stadium, that can hold over 100.000 people, opened last week.
b. My flat is quite far from the city centre, it takes nearly a hour by bus.
c) Alzheimer’s disease damages the brain and causes a steady loss of memory.
d) When I was in India, it was hard for me to get used to eat their spicy food.
The answer is c.
Section 4: Choose the alternative that has the closest meaning to the given sentence.
If you hadn’t given me the money, I could never have bought this house.
a) As soon as you give me some money, I’ll be able to buy the house I like.
b) I was lucky that I could buy this house without borrowing any money from you.
c) As you didn’t lend me any money, I couldn’t buy a house.
d) Without the money you lent me, I wouldn’t have been able to buy this house.
The answer is d.
Section 5: Choose the alternative that is grammatically incorrect.
1. (a) When Susan Boyle first walked onto the stage of the Britain’s ‘Got Talent’ TV show, people immediately thought that she (b) looked as a 47-year-old single woman,(c) who lived alone (d) with her cat. 2. (a) Nobody thought for a minute that she (b) had a chance of doing (c) good on the show, or could (d) ever become a star. 3. (a) But when she opened her mouth and started (b) singing, (c) everybody was (d) amazing. 4. (a) After the video of (b) her performance (c) published on (d) the internet, it was watched by millions of people. 5. (a) Then, journalists (b) has started talking (c) about how wrong it is to categorize people and how we (d) should learn not to judge people only by looking at their appearances.
The answers are 1b 2c 3d 4c 5b.
Section 6: Choose the best alternative.
1. Since Ahmad Lahauri ___ it 300 years ago, people ___ the TajMahal in India as the most beautiful building in the world.
a) built / are describing
b) built / have described
c) had built / have described
d) has built / described
2. There was a big derby for the Turkish football lovers last night; in the end, Fenerbahçe ___ with Galatasaray 2-2.
The answers are 1b 2a.
Section 7: Read the text and choose the correct alternative. (1-5)
If you have ever had a long, sleepless night, you’ve suffered from insomnia. A relatively common illness, it affects most people at some time in their life. Insomnia is a sleeping disorder. Being unable to fall asleep or waking multiple times during the night are symptoms of this condition. Many different things can cause a person to suffer from insomnia. Things you eat or drink, such as caffeine or alcohol, are common causes. It isn’t just drugs or depressants that can cause sleeping with difficulty, though. Eating spicy food before bed is another common reason. If you have insomnia, there are a lot of things you can do and try to sleep. Practising regular sleeping habits, such as going to bed at the same time every night and not taking naps during the day, can help. Staying away from caffeine or alcohol before bed may also help you get a good night’s sleep.
1. It is stated in the text that most of the people ___.
a) wake up too early in the morning without any reason
b) experience insomnia in a period during their lives
c) sleep very late at nights during their caffeine intake
d) use depressant regularly to get rid of insomnia
2. One can understand from the text that ___.
a) a number of different factors can lead to insomnia
b) woman are more likely to be affected from insomnia than men
c) insomnia is a deadly condition which affects people of all ages
d) the effects of insomnia can be reduced with medication
3. According to the text, it’s true that ___.
a) going to bed at the same time every day is a reason for insomnia
b) caffeine and alcohol should not be taken together
c) caffeine intake may help people get over insomnia
d) people can recover insomnia
4. The word “disorder” means ___.
5. The word “it” refers to ___.
b) sleepless night
The answers are 1b 2a 3d 4a 5a
Section 8: Choose the best alternative to complete the paragraph.
The world animal fund has announced plans to save penguins from extinction. They want to build an electric fence around penguin breeding grounds in the Antarctic. __________. They will be given bananas to eat instead.
a) They believe this is the only way of preventing hungry polar bears from eating all the penguins
b) A group of international pop stars will make a record to raise money for the project
c) The minister has announced that they will have to drive on the right hand side of the road
d) Officers had scientists get them a photograph of the incident
The answer is a.
Section 9: Choose the best alternative to complete the dialogue.
Abigail: I have to be in Ohio tomorrow for the funeral of a relative. Would you mind exchanging the night shifts just for this weekend?
Barbara: ___. I'll take your shifts. I am sorry for your loss.
b) Of course not
c) Yes, certainly
The answer is b.
Section 10: Choose the best order of sentences to form a logical paragraph.
1. Walker had an accident in his friend’s car in 2013 and the car exploded, killing both of them.
2. But he has been best known for portraying Brian O’Conner in the Fast and Furious film series.
3. He was born in Glendale, California and he grew up in Los Angeles.
4. Paul William Walker was an American actor and a humanist.
5. The first movie that he acted in was Monster in the Closet, where he portrayed the character Professor Bennet.
The answer is a.
STAGE II Section 1 - Listening
In this part, there are five short recordings. Listen to each recording twice and answer one question related to it. You will be given 5 seconds before each recording to read the questions. Now read the first question.
1. Mark Chapman was the man who ___.
a) was a friend of John Lennon’s from university
b) lived with John Lennon in the New York apartment
c) had a new contract with John Lennon
d) shot and killed John Lennon
2. The couple don’t leave a tip because ___.
a) the restaurant is quite expensive
b) service is included in the bill
c) they don’t have enough money
d) they don’t like the place at all
3. Celia and Sammy ___.
a) are friends from Manchester
b) are both David and Jane’s neighbours
c) have just met at the party
d) have known each other for a long time
4. The man thinks bull fighting is ___.
a) exciting to watch for tourists
b) not nice to watch
c) very popular in Spain
d) an important part of Spanish culture
5. The speaker is learning Turkish because he is planning to ___.
a) sing live with Sertap Erener
b) make songs for Sertap Erener
c) spend time in Turkey
d) work in Turkey
Listen to the recording twice and then answer the questions 6 to 10. Now you have 40 seconds to read the questions in Part B.
6. Michael Jordan’s basketball career as a player ended in ___.
7. Michael Jordon joined the Chicago Bulls ___
a) when he got his medal
b) after college
c) after high school
d) when he got a gold medal in 1984 Olympic games
8. The Dream Team is ___.
a) the Chicago Bulls
c) the United States Team
d) the Great American Basketball Team
9. Michael Jordan has ___ Olympic gold medals.
10. NBA named Michael Jordan ___ many times.
a) the most valuable player of all time
b) king of all the sports
c) the most valuable player of the year
d) champion of the Olympics
Listen to the recording twice and then answer the questions 11 to 15. Now you have 40 seconds to read the questions in Part C.
11. Frieda has never been to ___ before.
b) South America
12. Frieda first went abroad for ___.
a) her father’s job
b) her historical studies
c) her university education
13. Frieda Hoffman is a/an ___.
a) a historian
b) a scientist
c) an archaeologist
d) a professor at Cambridge University
14. She has been to Egypt ___.
a) about 12 times
b) 3 times
c) less than 20 times
d) more than 20 times
15. During her journeys, she has___.
a) never had a dangerous situation
b) always been with her father
c) never travelled by car
d) been in danger so many times
Now you have 60 seconds to copy your answers to the answer sheet.
Click here to listen to the audios.